Research Impact: Strengthening the Excellence Framework
The results of the next REF exercise will again be used to inform the allocation of government funding to universities for research, almost £2 billion of annual research investment. The previous exercise, in 2014, assessed nearly 200,000 research outputs and 7,000 impact case studies submitted by more than 52,000 academics in 154 institutions. This event will help support universities and research institutions in delivering world-class research and ensure they adhere to the developing assessment criteria.
Digital Science Consultant Data Scientist, Martin Szomszor, will be speaking at 15:55 on Thursday, 14 September 2017. His talk is titled, REF 2021: Game Changing?
Where: Manchester Conference Centre
Time: 08:30 – 16:30
Research Impact: Strengthening the Excellence Framework will explore the next steps and rules for the Research Excellence Framework in 2021, offering practical guidance on delivering high-quality submissions across disciplines, institutions and projects.
You can expect to hear about:
- Learn about the future direction for research funding and assessment as the government reviews of governance, structure and evaluation develop.
- Practical advice and solutions to assist universities in improving the quality of REF submissions and interdisciplinary research for 2021.
- Explore new models and future iterations of research performance and evaluation.
- The impact of the Research Excellence Framework on organisational culture and how the assessment process will inform future submissions and assessment.
- Learn how to best evidence impact, excellence and diversity across a variety of disciplines and research projects.
- Examples of good practice and improvements for the next REF exercise.
- Insight into the intended and unintended consequences of REF and how the next exercise will differ.
- The future role of metrics and data in evidencing research impact and processes.
- Assistance in developing the quality of research outputs and demonstrating originality, significance and rigour in applications.
- How to evidence impact beyond academia in terms of reach and significance.
- Practical ways of developing research strategies, support for staff and students, and delivering research infrastructures and collaborations.
- How to benchmark outcomes from Research Excellence Framework assessments towards 2021.
- Discover how new models of research, funding and collaboration can support excellence.
- Take advantage of knowledge sharing, professional networking and contribute to wider thinking about higher education and research.