Sign Up for Springer Nature Hack Day
Springer Nature is hosting a Hack Day focused on analytics and metrics to measure the impact of science.
Example themes are:
- What’s hot and what’s not in science? Using metrics to create trend or gap analysis.
- Measure the impact of science: Create new or calculate alternative metrics (for example to challenge the Journals Impact Factor).
- Explore how analytics and metrics can help with solving Grand Challenges such as Climate Change, Sustainability or Global Health.
- Date: 26 – 27 April 2018, 1.5 days
- Time: Day 1: 3 pm – 7 pm, followed by a social event | Day 2: 9 am – 5 pm
Springer Nature, Heidelberger Platz 3, 14197 Berlin, Germany
Who can participate?
Anyone interested in the world of science, metrics and data! Being a programmer or developer is not a must. There is no charge but spaces are limited so sign up ASAP!
Available Data Sets
Dimensions are delighted to be providing access to their data for the duration of the hack. The Dimensions data links different content sources such as publications, grants, patents and clinical trials. It does this in a consistent network of over 128 million documents and connected by approximately 4 billion links. In order to provide flexible access to this content, they have developed the Dimensions API. API queries are constructed using the Dimensions Search Language (DSL), our own query language developed to use an intuitive syntax which is precisely relevant to Dimensions data. It allows users to search, aggregate, and cluster data in a single API call, providing cleanly structured data for the further analysis or machine-machine interaction.
- Links publications, grants, patents and clinical trials in a consistent network of over 128 million documents, connected by approximately 4 billion links.
- API queries are constructed using the Dimensions Search Language (DSL). Relevant documentation with tutorials and examples can be found online.
Springer Nature SciGraph
- Over 1 billion triples (articles, abstracts, books, grants, conferences, etc.) available for download as Linked Open Data.
- Different ways to access data programmatically in various formats (e.g. JSON-LD) via the Linked Data and Redirect APIs.
Springer | BMC API
- Springer Meta(data) APIs: provide metadata feeds for almost 12 million online documents (e.g., journal articles, book chapters, protocols).
- Springer Open Access API: provides metadata and full-text content where available for more than 460,000 online open access documents.
- Link to source
- Downloads, citations, readers on Mendeley, mentions, reviews for 465 thousand books
- Downloads, citations, readers on Mendeley, mentions for 4.6 million chapters
- Link to source
- ‘Related’ returns (up to) 500 top matching articles as well as concept labels for the entire set along with mappings to tie it all together.
- ‘Metadata’ contains all the concepts that have been extracted from the article along with a score indicating how central that concept is.