Business Intelligence Engineer – Research Analytics & Visualization (Remote, UK/EU/US)
Remote | UK/EU/US
No closing date
At Digital Science we are looking for a Business Intelligence Engineer to help us develop a portfolio of Research Analytics dashboards for the Dimensions platform.
As a BI Engineer, you will be working with the latest analytics and visualization technologies in order to leverage the power of the Dimensions data platform. You will develop a deep understanding of the Dimensions datasets and of the ways they can be used to address our customers’ research analytics needs. You will query data from multiple sources and develop interactive dashboards to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences. You will use visualisation tools and techniques to provide business insights and support decision making, as well as guiding new customers who want to develop innovative data solutions using Dimensions.
You will be part of an experienced and well skilled technical team, with a clear vision of the technological and engineering goal within the exciting setting of an international and agile company.
With Dimensions, Digital Science launched an innovative research data and tool infrastructure, broadening the view of the research landscape after decades of focus on the publication/citation complex.
Dimensions is a research tool that interlinks multiple data sets (grant applications, publications, clinical trials, patents applications, policy documents). Based on these data sets and by using external services it provides metrics like attention and citation score and makes it possible to perform complex analysis on the data.
In total, Dimensions contains today more than 400 million documents with more than 4 billion connections between these records.
Our customers are researchers, research organizations, publishers and government and funder organizations from all around the world.
Your new role
- Designing new dashboards using visualization tools like Data Studio and Looker, working in close collaboration with end-users and stakeholders to define and prototype the end result.
- Designing data models and SQL-based reporting solutions, implementing changes to meet the business need, as well as performing maintenance and BAU tasks such as creating technical design documentation and granting users access to our tools.
- Contribute to defining and maintaining our data visualization platform roadmap and strategy, and policies and procedures.
- Support the growth of the team, by keeping abreast of market and industry trends and sharing knowledge and experience with them.
What you’ll bring to the role
- Dashboards development e.g. using Looker / Qlik / Dash / Data Studio / Tableau
- SQL Proficiency esp. with BigQuery
- Relevant experience in taking ownership of project deliverables and day-to-day work product
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills. Attention to detail and capable of breaking down complex problems into manageable tasks.
- Strong interpersonal, communications, and organizational skills. Good command of the English language.
- Must be a self-learner, possessing inherent inquisitiveness
Nice to have
- Python scripting e.g. for data wrangling and dashboards automations.
- Experience with cloud-based architectures, AWS and Google Cloud
- Experience working with scientific / research data (e.g. publications, patents, grants, clinical trials etc..)
BS or MS degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience in an IT-related field
We invest in, nurture and support innovative businesses and technologies that make all parts of the research process more open, efficient and effective. The people we secure are fundamental to us achieving our vision and our growth plans. The values we live by are:
- We are brave in the pursuit of better
- We are collaborative and inclusive
- We are always open-minded
- We are from and for the community
Ready to apply?
We offer a competitive benefits package, the opportunity to work flexibly, and the possibility to really make a difference. If you would like to help shake up the world of research, Digital Science is the place to be. Together, we can make a positive, irreversible change.
Please email your CV to careers@digital-science