CTO – Altmetric
Digital Science | London, UK
Altmetric are looking for a CTO to join their established team.
Altmetric is a data science company working to help research institutions, government agencies, funders, publishers and corporate organizations more easily track and understand the online reach and influence of their publications. Our alternative metrics and the underlying data enable researchers and those that support them to see where their work is having a public impact via news and social media, if it’s being used to inform policy, or referenced in patent applications.
We create products such as the Altmetric details pages, Altmetric Explorer and the Altmetric badges. We have a varied customer base, everything from academic institutions, scholarly publishers, and funding bodies, to NGOs and Pharmaceutical companies.
We develop software in a friendly and flexible working environment. Every day, we process hundreds of thousands of scholarly mentions and serve over 45 million API requests.
Day-to-day, we use tools like:
- Ruby and the Ruby on Rails framework to power our products;
- Nomad to manage and deploy our Docker containers.
- Scrum and Kanban to keep iterating (on our products and teams);
- A low friction build pipeline to ensure we can deploy many times a day;
- Automated tests to keep code clean and as bug free as we can.
As our CTO, you’ll play a vital part in shaping the future of Altmetric. We’re looking for someone to craft and communicate the technical vision & strategy of the company, support the delivery of our company roadmap, bridge the Engineering and Commercial streams of our business, and provide technical leadership for our Development team.
Reporting to Altmetric’s CEO and working alongside our VP of Engineering and Director of Product, you’ll combine your skills & experiences with operational management and technical leadership, enabling you to work with us to help ensure our products and services are a success.
Here’s what you might expect when you join our team as the CTO:
Within your first month
- You met with everyone on the development team, and lots of folks around the wider company.
- You have started to get familiar with our overall set up and the main components of our system
- You have attended a variety of team meetings including stand-ups, planning and demos to get an understanding of our process.
- You have begun to get a sense of the main challenges we’re facing in the coming year
- You have established a good working relationship with Tech Leads, VP Engineering, Director of Product and the CEO.
Within your first three months
- You have had the opportunity to work more closely with members of the team, providing steering and advice where appropriate
- You have developed an overview of the tech stack across teams, and an understanding of areas that are particularly in need of attention.
- You have worked with our VP of Engineering to review the structure of the team and may have made some initial changes to improve effectiveness.
- Using your deepened understanding of our tech stack, you will have started working with the Director of Product to establish a roadmap to both improve our foundations and innovate in new areas.
Within your first year
- You feel comfortable in your role of providing ownership and accountability for all technology at Altmetric.
- You will be responsible for having established the technical strategy for Altmetric
- You will feel comfortable in your position of leading the team, representing the team’s needs to the wider business and working to maintain and develop the existing company culture.
- In conjunction with the VP of Engineering and Director of Product, you will have prepared the Product Development team and processes for the next stage of growth for our company
The development team is split into three small teams who each have full control over improving the areas they’re responsible for. We hold weekly “gatherings” across the whole development team to keep everyone informed and to discuss any bigger issues that affect multiple project teams.
Teams typically work in two week iterations, seeking feedback early and often so that we can respond to change quickly. At the end of every iteration, we hold demos and retrospectives so that we can share completed work and discuss changes to our way of working.
Life at Altmetric
As a company, work-life balance is very important to us: we have flexible working hours and our teams are set up to enable people to regularly work from home.
In order to create time for personal development, we hold “Hackdays” every month for team members to explore new topics and technologies and work with people outside their usual product team. These projects range from building a prototype of something, experimenting with a new technology, online training, or just reading that software development book you never get around to during the week.
We offer a competitive salary and we have an annual training & conference budget including international travel. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can. We also offer company benefits such as a personal pension plan, life assurance cover, private medical insurance and a travel or bike loan.
Our main offices are currently based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other research-focused start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which has given us a wide diversity of backgrounds throughout the team. This is something that Louise (our VP of Engineering) and Kathy (our CEO) have always strived for and we’re certainly pleased with the progress so far. If this role interests you, please apply here.