Data Scientist – Altmetric
Europe | London
No closing date
We are Digital Science and we are advancing the research ecosystem.
We are a pioneering technology company, and our vision is of a future where a trusted and collaborative research ecosystem drives progress for all. We believe in better, open, collaborative and inclusive research. In creating the next generation of tools and working in partnership with the community we tackle some of the biggest challenges to research. In order to achieve our vision, we need innovative, inspiring and dynamic people to join our team. Do you want to join us in achieving our vision?
Altmetric, part of the Digital Science family, is a technology company dedicated to helping researchers and those who support them better track, understand and demonstrate the reach and influence of their work. Our customers include some of the world’s largest universities, scholarly publishers, research funders, and pharmaceutical companies. As we continue to grow our business, we will use data insights to develop new revenue streams and deepen our commercial relationships with organisations from a variety of industry segments, including pharmaceutical, other corporate, publisher and academic. We are therefore looking for a Data Scientist to join our newly-established Data Insights team.
Your new role
The new Data insights team analyses our databases to deliver bespoke solutions, data analytics, visualisations, reports and dashboards to both external and internal customers. Altmetric Data Insights is responsible for developing new revenue streams and deepening commercial relationships with organisations from a variety of industry segments, including pharmaceutical, other corporate, publisher and academic.
Working with the Head of Data Insights and colleagues, you’ll deliver reports, dashboards and analytics to a range of customers. You’ll be responsible for wrangling data inside a big data environment (currently GBQ), and for experimenting and evaluating new technologies of interest to the Altmetric Data Insights team. You’ll work with colleagues and clients to shape requirements, test ideas and present results.
Part of the work of the Data Insights group is to mine our data for new insights: to this effect, one part of your job will be to explore new technologies and approaches and to work with colleagues to socialize these approaches across the company.
From time to time, you’ll conduct research with the Head of Data Insights and other colleagues: and this will form the basis for public webinars, blog posts and publications. The Data Insights team is charged with thought-leadership, and we have presented on a range of areas over the last 18 months, including sentiment analysis, trends in cannabis research and self-driving cars and novel visualisation approaches.
What you’ll be doing
- Data visualisation using Google DataStudio, Plotly etc
- Building new bespoke reports for clients
- Maintenance of existing DataStudio reports
- Preparing training for internal and external users of our solutions
- Data-wrangling with GBQ and other data analysis tools
- Combining data from multiple sources and setting up robust pipelines
- Preparation of reports and demonstration materials for clients and colleagues
- Participating in meetings with clients and prospects
- Computing novel data views for clients and preparing for delivery
- Evaluating and experimenting with novel software solutions and data science approaches
- Providing input to product and marketing activities
- Developing report requirements and detailing deliverables
What you’ll bring to the role
- You will have achieved a Bachelor’s degree or above, preferably in a scientific area.
- Passionate about big data, data science and visualisation
- Happy to work in small, agile groups
- You are a strong communicator and are able to communicate with and present to a varied audience
- Enthusiastic about innovation, excellence and building new businesses
- You are well organised and have a pragmatic approach
- You drive efficiencies in how you work and collaborate
- You have a natural curiosity and are keen to continue to learn, develop and excel
- Experienced in manipulating data and creating visualisations using a variety of platforms
- Big data skills, using Google Big Query and similar, APIs and a variety of other data types
- Data visualisation using tools such as Google Data Studio and Python/R and associated libraries
- You have experience of working with scripting tools (eg R, Python) and using associated technologies (eg SQL)
- Be used to installing new systems, evaluating novel solutions and providing internal feedback
- A strong collaborator, comfortable shaping requirements with both colleagues and clients
- A familiarity with preparing and converting data and visualisations to slide decks
- Experience of the scholarly publishing and academic environment is preferred
Life at Altmetric
Our offices are based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell, London and we share our space with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic. Many of our team work remotely around the UK, Europe and the US, but the office is always welcoming for when you’d like it – and several of our team are in the office at least a few days a week. (Outside of these unusual times, of course.) As a company, we’re proud to offer:
- A focus on work-life balance – flexible working hours and an on-demand employee wellness program
- Remote and in-office working with ease – we’re comfortable and productive anywhere!
- A competitive salary
- The tech to get you up and running – a MacBook provided as standard
- Regular remote and (when we can) in-person fun
Our team is diverse with a huge mix of backgrounds, languages, locations, and life experiences! We are an equal opportunity employer and believe our company can only be made better this way.
Our vision & values
We invest in, nurture and support innovative businesses and technologies that make all parts of the research process more open, efficient and effective. The talent we secure is fundamental to us achieving our vision and our growth plans. The values we live by are:
- We are brave in the pursuit of better
- We are collaborative and inclusive
- We are always open-minded
- We are from and for the community
Ready to apply?
If this sounds like you and you would like to develop your career in a business that is shaping the future of the research ecosystem, click here and send your CV to us, showcasing how you can bring your experience to support us in our continued journey. We look forward to hearing from you