Junior Infrastructure Engineer – Symplectic
Digital Science | Iasi, Romania
Symplectic is a leading developer of integrated research management systems and our flagship product Elements is used by hundreds of thousands of researchers based in research institutions located throughout the world. We are looking for an outstanding individual interested in furthering their career in systems administration and infrastructure engineering to join the company’s infrastructure team.
Symplectic’s products can be deployed both locally and in the cloud and our infrastructure team is looking for someone that will help deploy and scale our hosting services whilst also maintaining the high standards required by our clients. The role will be based in our light and modern open-plan offices in Iasi, working alongside and learning from our experienced team.
We’re looking for a bright, organised and careful individual with the drive to strengthen and further automate our hosting infrastructure. Demonstrable skills and experience in network & system support and administration are required. Any relevant technical degree or experience with virtualisation, containerisation and mitigating against device failures would be advantageous. Windows, SQL Server and Powershell scripting experience is a plus. You should also have excellent documentation skills and written English, be eager to share your ideas and learn from others, and take pride in supporting and maintaining a robust and secure infrastructure.
About the Role
From the beginning, the role will require you to learn our current hosting infrastructure and processes, improve its documentation, take on the responsibility for support on light hosting related requests.
You’ll be surrounded by talented people who’ve gone through the same with us already – you’ll have a diverse, highly experienced and very friendly team to call on for help and mentoring. Apart from Windows and Linux systems administration, we’ll want you to become fluent with networking, DBA, 3rd party hosting platform configuration and maintenance, security practices and resource optimisation. You are likely to see the systems you maintain used by our clients within a few weeks of arriving. We are proud to say that these include some of the top research institutions in the world.
Through mentoring by senior members of the infrastructure team and in response to your own aptitudes and strengths, this role will present you with plenty of opportunities for early responsibility. With exposure to a wide range of technologies, and opportunities for growth into areas such as automation, scalability, availability, security and monitoring, this job represents an exciting and rewarding beginning to a career in professional infrastructure engineering.
The responsibilities of the Junior Infrastructure Support Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Support and improve existing internal infrastructure (AWS, physical and virtual environments)
- Support and improve existing hosted clients environments
- Support clients in implementing and troubleshooting installations of Elements in their own environments
- Create and maintain hosting standards and processes
- Maintain reference specs for clients wishing to host Symplectic supported software themselves
- Implement and abide by above hosting infrastructure and processes.
- Help widen all the above to internal development/testing hosting infrastructure and processes.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and maintain strong team relationships.
- Technical proficiency and experience in system and support services.
- Basic Windows Server support, preferable with some PowerShell interaction
- Basic Linux Server support, preferable with some scripting interaction
- Basic networking knowledge
- Be part of an international team and work in an environment that values innovation, initiative, and energy
- Compensation is highly competitive and based on experience
- This role may require some travel twice a year
- You can boost your potential with a flexible schedule or days when you work from home
- Possibility to access training and conferences because your growth is encouraged and sustained
- You must join our unforgettable team buildings and Christmas parties to convince yourself we don’t miss a chance to have fun and good coffee