Junior UX Designer – Symplectic
We need a talented Junior UX Designer to join our experienced UX team to help develop innovative designs for our suite of software products. Based in our London office, you will be working closely with our product development teams across every stage of the UX design process.
Symplectic works in pursuit of the advancement of knowledge, delivering software solutions and services that help organisations achieve their research goals. We are a leader in both Research Management and Grants Management with a global and growing client base of prestigious academic institutions, funders, government agencies and other research organisations.
Symplectic is a part of the Digital Science portfolio, collectively seeking to increase the productivity of institutions with smart tools that fuel innovation, opportunity and discovery.
About the role
As a member of the Symplectic UX team, you will be developing innovative design concepts in close collaboration with our Principal UX Designer and product development team. You will be an advocate for high quality UX design in our products & user research, championing creativity and innovation to ensure we are creating engaging user experiences for our community.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing innovative design concepts and developer friendly functional specifications for desktop and mobile
- Working on our Design System to help keep our products unified and cohesive, and in sync with our product vision.
- Creating user flows, diagrams and models facilitating shared understanding of complex topics
- Creating iconography and illustrations, helping to make the product more delightful and visually friendly
- Finding creative ways to bring the rich data captured within our products to life including interactive data visualisations
- Undertaking user research & using insights to validate design decisions, inform the product roadmap and make recommendations about improving the products
- Considering all requirements through a critical thinking lens & being proactive about evolving designs throughout the design & development process.
- Ensuring all designs are in conformance with accessibility & other statutory requirements
- Working collaboratively and iteratively with the Symplectic product development team including being able to present & justify your design decisions.
- Maintaining knowledge of leading UX and current digital trends and best practices to create compelling and efficient digital experiences.
We’re looking for a talented designer with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and who thrives in a collaborative environment. Ideally, you will have 1-2 years experience in a digital/UX designer role.
You will also have:
- Experience using and strong understanding of user centered design processes and methods
- A demonstrated ability to create clean, effective and innovative visual design systems across devices and media types
- A working knowledge of the mainstream design tools including Adobe XD and Adobe Illustrator
- A working knowledge of UI principles, graphic design principles, and web standards
- Strong information architecture skills
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling several projects at once
- The ability to work with time and development constraints by making appropriate compromises where necessary.
- An understanding of accessibility standards
- An understanding of double diamond methodology
What we can offer you or working at Symplectic
This role will be based with our team in London but we also have teams based in Glasgow, Iasi and around the world. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including Figshare, Overleaf & Altmetric and there are many opportunities for cross-portfolio collaboration.
We foster a supportive and inclusive environment and we’re proud of our friendly team spirit and collaborative atmosphere. We have a diverse team with a wide range of experience, including backgrounds in scientific research, software development, universities, and the private sector. Some of our team have 20 years experience in the industry, and some are in their first job since graduating but everyone’s ideas are welcome. Learning from each other, sharing knowledge, and helping each other is very important to us.
We offer flexible working hours and a competitive salary and benefits package. You’ll have the opportunity to work with friendly colleagues who are passionate about Symplectic and our amazing global community of users. Our annual staff training budget is there to help you grow your skills whilst our annual entertainment budget helps ensure we have some fun along the way.