Senior Developer – Symplectic
We need a Senior Developer to develop and support Symplectic’s software products in our Funding Solutions team. As a senior member of the development team, you will provide leadership both within the development team and on product development projects.
Symplectic works in pursuit of the advancement of knowledge, delivering software solutions and services that help organisations achieve their research goals. We are a leader in both Research Management and Grants Management with a global and growing client base of prestigious academic institutions, funders, government agencies and other research organisations. Symplectic is a part of the Digital Science portfolio, collectively seeking to increase the productivity of institutions with smart tools that fuel innovation, opportunity and discovery.
About the role
As a member of the Symplectic development team, you will be developing and supporting the company’s software products including the maintenance of existing code and the development of new product functionality and infrastructure tools.
Key responsibilities include:
- Software engineering to maintain existing code and implement new product functionality and infrastructure tools.
- Learning about and applying relevant programming technologies, frameworks, paradigms and best practices, and adhering to technical standards.
- Producing and maintaining effective test plans, data and scripts as appropriate.
- Writing and maintaining associated technical documentation (e.g. Jira ticket content) to internal standards.
- Participating in stand-up meetings, planning and design sessions and retrospectives.
- Contributing to the planning, design and delivery of product enhancements by working in collaboration with other parts of the Symplectic product development team (product management, UX and QA as well as other developers).
- Working with the Support Team to assist with customer support & technical troubleshooting.
- Researching into and producing solution designs for small to medium/any size of technical projects, including consideration for technical maintenance and end-user support implications.
- Producing and maintaining effective end-user documentation as appropriate.
- Ensuring that any technical solution meets the business needs of the end-user.
- Proactively developing and demonstrating proofs of concept for new ideas that. might help the company’s products.
- Supporting the product team to coordinate work by performing technical analysis including delivery estimates, of small to medium projects.
- Undertaking other development or development-related work as required by the company.
Leadership & people management
- Mentoring more junior members of the development team.
- Proactively suggesting possible enhancements to Symplectic product development practices.
- Leading the development of technical components, with responsibility for maintaining ongoing communication with internal (and external) teams regarding progress, risks and the wider understanding of the component within the company.
- Contributing positively to the overall Symplectic team dynamic
- Working collaboratively with Symplectic and Digital Science colleagues on wider company goals as appropriate.
We’re looking for a senior developer with excellent written and verbal communication skills and a proven ability to work well in a cross-functional team. Ideally, you will have 4-5 years’ professional programming experience, ideally within a C#.NET environment.
You will also have:
- Experience in object-orientated programming, ideally with experience in the following languages: C#
- A proven track record of timely delivery of software engineering solutions using a range of back-end and front-end technologies.
- A track record of successful design of technical solutions to software engineering problems.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to write maintainable code.
- Proven ability to rapidly learn and apply principles of engineering.
- Degree in computer science or another technical discipline or equivalent experience
What we can offer you
This role will be based with our team in Glasgow, but we also have teams based in London, Iasi and around the world. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including Figshare, Overleaf & Altmetric and there are many opportunities for cross-portfolio collaboration.
We foster a supportive and inclusive environment and we’re proud of our friendly team spirit and collaborative atmosphere. We have a diverse team with a wide range of experience, including backgrounds in scientific research, software development, universities, and the private sector. Some of our team have 20 years experience in the industry, and some are in their first job since graduating, but everyone’s ideas are welcome. Learning from each other, sharing knowledge, and helping each other is very important to us.
We offer flexible working hours and a competitive salary and benefits package. You’ll have the opportunity to work with friendly colleagues who are passionate about Symplectic and our amazing global community of users. Our annual staff training budget is there to help you grow your skills whilst our annual entertainment budget helps ensure we have some fun along the way.
If this all sounds like you, please get in touch by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org