Senior Marketing Manager
Digital Science | UK
Interested in joining the vibrant Digital Science team?
Our marketing team in London and mainland Europe is growing. We have two new roles responsible for leading the product marketing for Altmetric and Dimensions. Our portfolio structure and the increasing number of product integrations make it critical that these roles work closely together and also collaborate with the Digital Science Central marketing team.
If you have experience in the STM industry, ideally focused on research organizations, and would be excited to work in a position where you would be responsible for shaping the strategy and hands-on delivery, then this could be your ideal role.
One role will be located in our Kings Cross London office, the other in mainland Europe where we have offices in Hamburg and Cologne, or you can work flexibly from home. There will be some business travel.
About the products
Launched in January 2018 and developed over a 2 year period in partnership with over 100 leading research intensive organizations around the world, Dimensions aims to democratise and transform scholarly search.
Described by Outsell as a ‘game-changing’ initiative, Dimensions breaks down barriers to discovery and innovation by providing free search across over 95 million publication records linked by 860M citations, as well as one-click access to Open Access articles and licensed content.
Designed to meet the needs of researchers, institutions, funders, publishers and R&D organizations, an extended version of the platform enables users to search and analyse the connections between the publications and 34M patents, 300K clinical trials and 3.6M awarded grants – delivering insights across the research landscape that have never been possible to see so easily before.
Altmetric was founded in 2011 and has made it a mission to track and analyze the online activity around scholarly literature. It collates what people are saying about published research outputs in sources such as the mainstream media, policy documents, social networks, blogs, and other scholarly and non-scholarly forums to provide a more robust picture of the influence and reach of scholarly work.
Today, Altmetric is recognised as the leading altmetrics provider and works with some of the biggest publishers, funders, R&D organizations and institutions around the world to deliver this data in an accessible and reliable format.
About the roles
The Senior Marketing Managers are responsible for developing marketing strategy and ensuring effective execution across the Dimensions and Altmetric products and markets. Working closely with the COO of Altmetric, the Dimensions management team, and the wider Digital Science marketing team, these two roles require a proactive, organized approach – combined with in-depth knowledge of the academic industry and marketing tactics.
Creating engaging marketing strategies for products that are recognised as some of the most innovative on the market, you’ll need to have a keen eye for detail and be used to juggling rapidly changing demands and processes. Key aspects of the role will include taking the lead on marketing plans and a hands-on approach to supporting the team in the execution of those plans to support lead generation, market awareness, customer retention and community engagement.
The ideal person for this role will have proven experience of working in a marketing role in the academic publishing/research space, a can-do attitude and the ability to deliver whilst managing many stakeholders at once.
- Develop marketing strategy and plans for Dimensions and Altmetric in line with business goals to support revenue targets and other KPIs
- Line manage junior marketing staff
- Oversee (and take on tasks where necessary) execution of marketing plans within agreed budget
- Coordinate stakeholders to ensure all target markets are supported – plan, agree and deliver sales enablement materials
- Determine the content calendar and identify opportunities for external promotion
- Work closely with Dimensions / Altmetric management team to align messaging and tactics
- Create (or manage creation of) content that speaks to specific user needs and supports each stage of the purchasing process
- Work with central Digital Science marketing teams on comms strategy, lead generation campaigns, conferences, and thought-leadership activities
- Monitor and report on effectiveness of marketing programs, proposing changes where appropriate
- Determine approach and coordinate user days or other in-person/online events (with support from team)
- Ensure that we achieve clear differentiation and value proposition
- Follow industry trends and competitor activity, leading response as needed
- Adept at building relationships with stakeholders, understanding customer needs and tailoring approach accordingly
- Excellent communication skills to engage with customers, the wider scholarly community, and the team
- Hands-on marketing experience and a willingness to get involved in execution
- Exceptional copywriting ability – able to easily transform complex ideas into engaging blog posts, sales collateral, social campaigns
- Ability to manage multiple work streams at the same time
- A high level of productivity and excellent prioritisation skills
- Willingness to make decisions, keep momentum amongst team members, and work with high level of flexibility
- Ideally, good understanding of SEO and website optimization
- Significant years of marketing experience within the scholarly space
- Experience in growing brands and building communities around a product
- Some event management experience
- Able to manage budgets effectively
- Ideally some experience of managing teams