Solution Consultant – Symplectic
We need a collaborative and inquisitive Solution Consultant to join our Commercial & Business Operations team. The team, as a whole, is responsible for ensuring Symplectic achieves or exceeds its annual revenue targets for new licenses and billable services.
By contributing your specialised knowledge and expertise and working collaboratively with others, you will shepherd our clients’ journeys from initial product evaluation through to post-implementation engagement activities.
Symplectic works in pursuit of the advancement of knowledge, delivering software solutions and services that help organisations achieve their research goals. We are a leader in both Research Management and Grants Management with a global and growing client base of prestigious academic institutions, funders, government agencies and other research organisations.
Symplectic is a part of the Digital Science portfolio, collectively seeking to increase the productivity of institutions with smart tools that fuel innovation, opportunity and discovery.
About the role
Throughout the customer lifecycle, you will be responsible for driving client value and satisfaction, achieved by sharing knowledge, recommending solutions that fit with best practice and supporting the delivery of solutions through to completion.
At the intersection of the services, product and commercial teams, you will become a vital liaison both externally and internally, coordinating communication of key information to ensure client processes run smoothly.
A hands on-role with a high degree of autonomy, within your specialism, you will be able to respond directly to client requests, propose and act upon the next steps. This may include performing product configuration work as a paid service.
Equipped with a deep understanding of Symplectic’s products and technical capabilities, you will proactively deliver Symplectic’s client engagement activities which will include providing product-related training and specialised advice to both existing and prospective clients.
As a product and domain expert, you will become a trusted advisor to those interested in Symplectic’s products and proactively progress the sale and contracting processes associated with the delivery of Elements and related professional services.
Key responsibilities include:
Product and Service Knowledge
- Develop a broad understanding of the Symplectic Elements platform, its integrations and related professional services and be able to expertly communicate to both internal and external parties our current and future capabilities.
- Within a specified product or service area, develop a deep level of knowledge so as to provide consulting activities.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of research management best practice, including related systems such as digital repositories, open access, researcher profile systems, and funder portals.
- Work with Symplectic Support staff and Digital Science Sales staff to assist with client questions including troubleshooting and resolving client queries where appropriate.
- Support the sale and contracting of Symplectic products and services by working with sales staff to win new business, review proposals, develop statements of work and pricing for custom services.
- Undertake site visits and online meetings with current and prospective clients to progress sales opportunities or support client retention efforts.
- Monitor Symplectic’s ‘pre sales-support’ email distribution list and respond directly or triage requests for sales support.
- Contribute to the development of client-facing communications, including custom product demonstrations, written explanations of features including input into RFP responses, webinar content and sales and training collateral.
- Listen to and understand prospective clients’ business needs and use-cases to ensure the correct solution and services are proposed.
- Conduct other pre-sales support activities, such as the creation of demonstration scripts and the staging of default data in Symplectic’s demonstration systems.
- Run client training webinars, in-person sessions, workshops and regular refreshers.
- Support Marketing by scheduling client speakers and/or providing content for our annual user conferences, quarterly webinars and other events as required.
Client Relationship Management
- Build relationships with clients post-implementation to ensure high retention rates by providing training, advice and roll-out support and ensuring relevant stakeholders remain fully engaged.
- Collect and develop client roll-out plans aligned to clients’ original goals and identify support gaps.
- Work closely with sales staff to develop and nurture existing client relationships.
- Report back to the product and marketing teams on real-life usage scenarios to inform product, business and marketing strategy.
- Uncover and nurture new opportunities with existing clients for additional services or product components.
- As an extension of commercial and client engagement activities, uncover additional client requirements and propose appropriate standard or custom solutions in conjunction with the Client Services team.
- Thoroughly document client requirements and agree statements of work.
- Communicate with relevant technical team members needed to deliver the work.
- In some cases, perform basic (non-technical) configuration work as a paid service.
- Formally close service projects upon completion and work with Business Operations to ensure revenue is recognised in a timely manner.
- Contribute to the effective management and control of Symplectic’s demonstration environments.
- Work collaboratively with Symplectic and Digital Science colleagues to achieve wider company goals as appropriate.
We’re looking for a Solution Consultant with a positive and inclusive mindset with a high degree of personal credibility and integrity.
Ideally, you will have 5 years of work experience directly related to research discovery, administration, assessment, strategy and/or funding and be experienced in customer relationship management and communicating strategically with customers.
You will also have:
- Strong leadership skills demonstrated through experience leading projects and/or small teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong presentation skills and the ability to create engaging content for face to face customer meetings or webinars.
- Highly developed organisational skills and ability to work with a high level of autonomy.
- Ability to convey complex ideas in an easily understandable manner.
What we can offer you or working at Symplectic
This role will be based in our London or Glasgow offices, or alternatively, you can work remotely if based in the UK. We also have teams based in Iasi and around the world. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our offices with other scientific start-ups including Figshare, Overleaf & Altmetric and there are many opportunities for cross-portfolio collaboration.
We foster a supportive and inclusive environment and we’re proud of our friendly team spirit and collaborative atmosphere. We have a diverse team with a wide range of experience, including backgrounds in scientific research, software development, universities, and the private sector. Some of our team have 20 years experience in the industry, and some are in their first job since graduating but everyone’s ideas are welcome. Learning from each other, sharing knowledge, and helping each other is very important to us.
We offer flexible working hours and a competitive salary and benefits package. You’ll have the opportunity to work with friendly colleagues who are passionate about Symplectic and our amazing global community of users. Our annual staff training budget is there to help you grow your skills whilst our annual entertainment budget helps ensure we have some fun along the way.