UX/UI Product Designer – Altmetric
Digital Science | London
We’re looking for an inventive UX/UI Product Designer to join Altmetric and help us change the way the scholarly world thinks about research impact. Altmetric is a creative data science company that specializes in tracking social media mentions, news coverage, policy influence, and other online activity relating to scholarly research. As our resident UX expert, you’ll work with the Altmetric product team and lead projects to rapidly prototype, test out, and iterate on new product and feature ideas with existing customers.
You’ll collaborate with an Agile software engineering team to bring our product vision to life, while also helping to shape the ways we integrate design into our development processes. The role requires both critical thinking, openness to new ideas, and creativity. Your user research skills will help us to deliver the right features that our customers need, while your design capabilities will ensure that our user interfaces are both beautiful and functionally-sound. Reporting to Altmetric’s Head of Product, you’ll combine a clear understanding of customer use cases with creativity and design expertise to help make our products and services a commercial success.
As UX/UI Product Designer, you will:
- Work with Altmetric’s Head of Product and engineering team in a collaborative and Agile manner to implement and iterate on product designs.
- Develop a thorough understanding of a user problems by speaking with and surveying existing customers. Work with Altmetric’s Head of Product to ensure that we are delivering the right product features, by collecting user feedback and usage analytics on product iterations.
- Produce mockups, storyboards, and clickable prototypes for new features and products. Rapidly test prototypes with users and report on the results to inform upcoming developments.
- Help to ensure our software follows consistent, beautiful, and functionally-sound design principles.
- Drive the development of a longer-term strategy for the UX of our products.
Key skills and experience
- At least 2-4 years of experience in a UX/UI designer role, with a keen eye for detail and demonstrable experience in designing and building beautiful, user-friendly interfaces for the web and mobile.
- A great portfolio of visual design, interaction design, information architecture, and user journeys which communicates your approach to design thinking and problem solving, e.g., via sketches, wireframes, mock-ups, storyboards, or prototypes.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with HTML and CSS, as well as a thorough understanding of and experience with interactive prototyping tools such as Sketch and InVision.
- Experience conducting user research and usability testing with surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
- Experience reporting and analyzing data with usage analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Google Data Studio.
- Experience working with Agile development lifecycle methodologies, including Scrum and Kanban.
- Excellent time management and organization skills, with the ability to multi-task and context switch between different projects.
- Ability to work comfortably and communicate clearly with senior stakeholders, developers, and customers/users throughout the whole product lifecycle.
- 25 days annual leave
- Conference & training budget (incl. international travel)
- Flexible working
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Partially-subsidised gym membership
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Eye care contributions
- Flu vaccination vouchers
We’re based in Kings Cross, in the Kings Place building. As a portfolio company of Digital Science & Research Solutions Ltd, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
If this role interests you, please apply here.
Altmetric is a UK-based data science company dedicated to producing alternative metrics for research outputs ranging from peer-reviewed journal articles to datasets and software. With a global customer base spanning academic institutions, publishers, government agencies, non-profits, research institutes, and corporations, Altmetric is the gold standard in altmetrics data. Although we’re a small team, we put a big focus on investing in people and our company culture, with multiple social events and flexible working as key part of how we do business.