VP Commercial Operations – Altmetric
Digital Science | London, UK
We’re looking for a VP Commercial Operations (15-month contract) to lead the sales, marketing and client services aspects of the business, monitor progress and lead on strategy and collaboration across our teams.
Working closely with the leads within our commercial team, you’ll play a critical role in helping them to shape and deliver plans to ensure our activities are going to deliver in line with our financial and business targets.
You’ll need to be a quick thinker who is able to adapt easily to many different situations, experienced in people management and an expert in juggling lots of projects at once. A strategic eye, excellent organisational skills, can-do attitude and experience of working in a fast-paced environment are essential.
Your key responsibilities will be to;
- Work with the CEO to determine our commercial strategy and plan to meet the company goals.
- Develop the sales strategy and lead all sales and marketing aspects of the business including, sales forecasting, sales strategy, lead generation and pipeline management and pricing.
- Lead the global Altmetric sales specialists in the US, Europe and Asia Pacific, the Director of Research Relations, the Marketing Director, and (from September onwards) the Support and Engagement team
- Act as key point of contact for our Digital Science sales reps, making pricing and contractual decisions on a daily basis in partnership with legal and the CEO
- Work closely with the Director of Product and others across DS to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience to our customers
Ideally you will have
- Experience of taking new products to market in a SaaS environment.
- Knowledge of the scholarly/publishing space and a proven record of managing successful commercial operations, including sales and marketing activity
- Experience of managing and developing budgets, setting pricing and developing new pricing models
- A quick learner who is able to adapt easily to new scenarios with a high level of practical problem solving ability
- An excellent communicator who can coordinate across multiple stakeholders
- A team player who can provide support, guidance, coach and mentor
Altmetric is a data science company working to help research institutions, government agencies, funders, publishers and corporate organizations more easily track and understand the online reach and influence of their publications. Our alternative metrics and the underlying data enable researchers and those that support them to see where their work is having a public impact via news and social media, if it’s being used to inform policy, or referenced in patent applications.
We create products such as the Altmetric details pages, Altmetric Explorer and the Altmetric badges. Our customers include academic and government institutions across Europe, North America and Australia as well as publishers such as Springer Nature, Wiley, Taylor & Francis and MIT Press.
We develop software in a friendly and flexible working environment, processing hundreds of thousands of scholarly mentions and serving over 45 million API requests every day.
Life at Altmetric
As a company, work-life balance is very important to us: we have flexible working hours and our teams are set up to enable people to regularly work from home.
We offer a competitive market rate salary and we have an annual training & conference budget. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can. We also offer company benefits such as a personal pension plan, life assurance cover, and a travel or bike loan.
We’re currently based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other research-focused start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which has given us a wide diversity of backgrounds throughout the team. This is something that Louise (our VP of Engineering) and Kathy (our CEO) have always strived for and we’re certainly pleased with the progress so far. If this role interests you, please apply here.