Business Development Manager – Japan
Digital Science | Japan
About Digital Science:
Digital Science is a technology company serving the needs of scientific and research communities at key points along the full cycle of research. We invest in, nurture and support innovative businesses and technologies that make all parts of the research process more open, efficient and effective.
We believe that together, we can help researchers make a difference. We’re a pioneering and disruptive company made up of open-minded, brave and collaborative people. We believe that we can change the scientific ecosystem by constantly challenging the way things are done.
We have a vision of a future where a trusted, frictionless, collaborative research ecosystem drives progress for all. We serve a community that we understand. Many in our team started their careers as scientists so we know the daily challenges they face. But we go beyond this – we also work with institutions, funders and publishers to ensure they can better serve their own communities with technology that delights.
About the role:
We are looking for a Japan based Business Development Manager who will identify potential sales opportunities, generate leads and manage sales accounts and activities across our innovative portfolio of companies. The role will operate across multiple sectors in Japan including Academic, Corporate, Government and Publishing. The Business Development Manager will cultivate market potential by actively engaging with potential customers, thinking through their research and analytical needs, and collaborate with the global team to deliver tools and services effectively.
To succeed in this role, you need to be solutions focused and customer orientated. You will enjoy selling innovative technologies that solve your customer’s challenges. You will have experience of identifying and building trusted relationships with clients key decision-makers and influencers.
You will have excellent communication skills and enjoy having the opportunity to work across multiple products and sectors. You must have a passion for continued learning and be interested in working with an exciting company that is continually developing the next generation tools and solutions.
- Develop a strategic sales strategy, programme and plans in conjunction with the Digital Science Management, Sales and Marketing teams
- Monitor, analyse and identify growth opportunities with our existing customer base and new clients
- Establish a reputation as a trusted consultant, with key accounts, stakeholders and executive management
- Be the primary point of contact representing the Digital Science Group of portfolio companies across multiple market sectors whilst continuing to build customer relationships and the Digital Science brand in Japan.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction is maintained with existing client base and provide exceptional client service
- Liaise between customer and internal teams to help understand client needs and translate into business requirements
- Communicate progress on a monthly/quarterly basis (product updates and market factors) to internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be fluent in both English and Japanese
- Significant sales experience
- Significant SaaS or research solution sales / support experience
- Proven track record of exceeding / meeting sales targets
- Demonstrated working knowledge in Academic and/or Corporate and/or Government markets and/or Publishing markets
- Proven Business Development or Account Management or other relevant work experience
- Excellent, listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a results-driven environment
- Natural relationship builder with integrity, reliability and maturity
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Prospecting skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects across multiple companies and sectors
- Able to work in a team which is geographically distributed across multiple locations
- Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant work experience
- advanced degrees (Master, PhD) or professional diploma in science, technology, and/or engineering field would be advantageous