QA Engineer – Symplectic
We need a talented QA Engineer to join our experienced QA team to help increase and maintain our Quality First approach to software development for our suite of products. Based in our London/Glasgow office, you will be working closely with our wider development and QA teams, along with business stakeholders.
Symplectic works in pursuit of the advancement of knowledge, delivering software solutions and services that help organisations achieve their research goals. We are a leader in both Research Management and Grants Management with a global and growing client base of prestigious academic institutions, funders, government agencies and other research organisations.
Symplectic is a part of the Digital Science portfolio, collectively seeking to increase the productivity of institutions with smart tools that fuel innovation, opportunity and discovery.
About the role
As a member of the Symplectic QA team, you will be carrying out exploratory testing against new Development, writing and maintaining Selenium Automation scripts, and consulting on devising test plans for new functionality.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work alongside business stakeholders and developers to design, develop, write, and maintain Acceptance Criteria (Test Plans) from product requirements and design documents.
- Execute manual, exploratory and automated testing.
- Managing QA Infrastructure, deploying new Test Instances and Databases as required across multiple Windows servers.
- Help to promote a culture of continuous improvement, looking for ways in which the entire Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) can be adjusted and improved.
- Troubleshoot client issues and work with them and the Development team to provide timely feedback and solutions to any problems.
- Perform analysis, design and development of automation scripts using Selenium Webdriver.
- Analyze test results to ensure no adverse or unexpected impact on existing functionality.
- Perform test plan reviews with project team members.
- Work with the QA & Release Manager to make go / no go decisions on functionality being ready for release.
We’re looking for a talented QA Engineer with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and who thrives in a collaborative environment. Ideally, you will have 2 or more years experience in a QA / Testing role.
You will also have:
- Knowledge of Java, JUnit, Maven, Selenium Webdriver, Git, SQL, and general browser development tools.
- Strong analytical skills with a highly inquisitive mentality.
- Experience in defining detailed Acceptance Criteria and conducting test plan reviews with project team members.
- Strong understanding of exploratory testing, and working outside of predefined Acceptance Criteria (Test Plans).
- Experience of non-functional testing in areas like UX, UI and Accessibility.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and strong multi-tasking skills.
What we can offer you or working at Symplectic
This role will be based with either our London or Glasgow teams but we also have teams based in Iasi and around the world As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our offices with other scientific start-ups including Figshare, Overleaf & Altmetric and there are many opportunities for cross-portfolio collaboration.
We foster a supportive and inclusive environment and we’re proud of our friendly team spirit and collaborative atmosphere. We have a diverse team with a wide range of experience, including backgrounds in scientific research, software development, universities, and the private sector. Some of our team have 20 years experience in the industry, and some are in their first job since graduating but everyone’s ideas are welcome. Learning from each other, sharing knowledge, and helping each other is very important to us.
We offer flexible working hours and a competitive salary and benefits package. You’ll have the opportunity to work with friendly colleagues who are passionate about Symplectic and our amazing global community of users. Our annual staff training budget is there to help you grow your skills whilst our annual entertainment budget helps ensure we have some fun along the way.
If this all sounds like you, please get in touch by emailing your CV and portfolio link to email@example.com