SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Remote | Remote
No closing date
We’re looking for a Senior Software Developer to join our team.
Altmetric analyses the online activity around scholarly content to measure the broader impact of science and research. We deliver and support products such as the Altmetric details pages, Altmetric Explorer and the Altmetric badges. Our customers include institutions around the world and scholarly publishers such as Springer Nature, Wiley, Taylor & Francis and MIT Press.
We develop software in a friendly and flexible working environment, processing hundreds of thousands of scholarly mentions and serving tens of millions of API requests every day.
Day-to-day, we use technologies like Ruby and the Ruby on Rails framework, PHP, PostgreSQL and Redis. Our code is highly tested with RSpec and PHPUnit. If you have transferable skills into any of the above, then we’d love to hear from you. Ultimately, we’re looking for people who are keen to learn and are flexible in their approach.
You will be part of a team responsible for the development and maintenance of our user-facing web applications and data pipeline. Using best practices, you will continuously deliver our products to customers around the globe and shape our engineering culture. As a more experienced member of the team, we will be looking to you for leadership, help increase our technical competencies, and offer mentorship to others on the team.
Examples of our recent dev projects include:
- Reworking our Wikipedia collector to import data from their Event Streams, importing and processing every change to any Wikipedia site to check for references to scientific outputs;
- Converted a very manual process of setting up new customers into an automated system where the customers can guide themselves through the majority of set up.
- Worked closely with our SREs to dockerised each of our microservices so they can scale up and be deployed easily via Nomad, and Rocksteady (an open source tool we built to make this task easier).
Here’s what you can expect when you join our team.
In your first weeks:
- Get to know the development team and product managers you’ll work closest with.
- Start by shadowing, and then pairing with team mates to begin learning more about the Altmetric codebase.
- Be given a walkthrough of the pipeline and architectural diagram showing how each of our services work with each other.
- Meet with your colleagues from other areas of the company to help give you a better understanding of Altmetric and our mission.
In your first three months you will:
- Have attended a bunch of our regular developer Gatherings, worked alongside your team, and gotten to know us better. By this point, you should have a stronger understanding of Altmetric’s development culture, and how to make your space within it.
- Begin identifying areas where improvement is needed, and offering solutions using your previous experience.
- Work closely with the Product Managers on the prioritisation and scoping of work, and identify technical projects that may help us solve our current challenges
- Have made strategic suggestions to improve the scalability or robustness of our pipeline.
In your first six months you will:
- Be in a position to confidently drive larger scale changes to our software, in a practical way.
- Be a point person for the development team, helping them to be as efficient as possible whilst still delivering high quality code.
- Work with the CTO, Tech Leads, and other members of the development team to set the roadmap for how Altmetric should look in the following years.
The development team is currently split into three teams who each have full control over improving the areas they’re responsible for. We hold weekly “gatherings” across the whole development team to keep everyone informed and to discuss any bigger issues that affect multiple project teams.
Teams typically work in two week iterations, seeking feedback early and often so that we can respond to change quickly. At the end of every iteration, we hold reviews and retrospectives so that we can share completed work and discuss changes to our way of working.
Life at Altmetric
Our offices are currently based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic. Most of our developers work remotely around the UK and Europe, but the office is always welcoming for when you’d like it. (Outside of these unusual times, of course.)
As a company, work-life balance is very important to us: we have flexible working hours and our teams have been setup to work well remotely for a number of years now – we’re quite good at it.
In order to create time for personal development, we hold “hackdays” every month for team members to explore new topics and technologies and work with people outside their usual product team. These projects range from building a prototype of something, experimenting with a new technology, online training, or just reading that software development book you never get around to during the week.
We offer a competitive market rate salary and all members of the team are provided with a MacBook Pro (we are happy to discuss your requirements before you join) and have an annual training & conference budget including international travel. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which has given us a wide diversity of backgrounds throughout the team. This is something that Louise (our VP of Engineering) and Kathy (our CEO) have always strived for and we’re certainly pleased with the progress so far.
If this role interests you, please apply here.