Technical Product Manager – Altmetric
Digital Science | London
Are you passionate about science and changing the way that the scholarly world thinks about research impact? We are looking for a Technical Product Manager to join Altmetric, a creative data science company that specializes in tracking social media mentions, news coverage, policy influence, and other online activity relating to scholarly research. You’ll manage the day-to-day priorities of a software development team that focuses on all things data, including the investigation and addition of new attention sources, as well as the maintenance of our data pipeline. When urgent data-related issues get escalated from customer support, you’ll be able to respond quickly to prioritize the required changes. You’ll oversee the integrations between Altmetric and third-party data providers, and liaise with key partners who consume Altmetric’s data. You’ll also develop and own the technical training programmes for Altmetric’s APIs, combining a clear understanding of customer use cases with creativity and technical expertise. Reporting to Altmetric’s Head of Product, you’ll help to shape the product vision and roadmap of the company, ensuring that our data services and backend systems are of the highest quality.
As Technical Product Manager, you will:
- Own and prioritize the backlog for the software development team that is responsible for all things data-related, including the addition of new attention sources and the maintenance of Altmetric’s data pipeline.
- Understand our customers’ data needs and requirements, and translate those into development priorities.
- Play a key role in troubleshooting, logging, and prioritizing data-related issues and feature requests.
- Perform user acceptance testing (UAT) for technical features and bug fixes.
- Work comfortably and efficiently with development teams, senior stakeholders, customers, and users throughout the whole product lifecycle.
- Ensure ongoing issues are communicated to affected customers and internal staff as appropriate.
- Serve as the main contact person for third-party data providers and key technical partners.
- Develop and own the technical training programmes for Altmetric’s APIs, designed for customers and internal staff.
Key skills and experience
- A strong technical background: ideally, a Computer Science degree and/or at least 2 years of experience with software development, including automated testing and code review. Experience with Ruby on Rails, PHP, PostgreSQL, or MongoDB is an asset, but not required.
- At least 1 year of experience in a technical product management or product ownership role, specifically with technical products or services.
- Experience working with Agile development lifecycle methodologies, including Scrum and Kanban.
- Ability to lead and inspire confidence from teammates with your clear product vision and strong sense of priority.
- Fantastic written and verbal communication skills: ability to clearly articulate both customer needs and complex technical concepts.
- Keen eye for detail and thorough approach when troubleshooting technical or data-related issues.
- Excellent time management and organization skills, with the ability to multi-task and context switch between different projects.
- 25 days annual leave
- Conference & training budget (incl. international travel)
- Flexible working
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Partially-subsidised gym membership
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Eye care contributions
- Flu vaccination vouchers
We’re based in Kings Cross, in the Kings Place building. As a portfolio company of Digital Science & Research Solutions Ltd, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including Figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
If this role interests you, please apply here.
Altmetric is a UK-based data science company dedicated to producing alternative metrics for research outputs ranging from peer-reviewed journal articles to datasets and software. With a global customer base spanning academic institutions, publishers, government agencies, non-profits, research institutes, and corporations, Altmetric is the gold standard in altmetrics data. Although we’re a small team, we put a big focus on investing in people and our company culture, with multiple social events and flexible working as key part of how we do business.