Join a Wiki edit-a-thon:
improving diversity on Wikipedia
A communal wiki update on 8-9 Oct to improve the coverage of women and diversity on Wikipedia
Wikipedia is the first to admit that they have some big gender and diversity gaps. In 2011 only 10% of wiki contributors were female and in 2018 only 17% of entries are about women. Let’s help change that!
Join hubs worldwide on the 8th-9th October 2018 for a communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to women and diversity in science, technology, art, business and more.
A growing bunch of great organisations are working together on this
When and where?
It starts on Monday 8th October and runs until the evening of 9th October 2018 (which happens to be the fabulous Ada Lovelace Day Live) at various global locations. Depending on where you are in the world you’ll join a hub (remotely or in person) where you can drop in at any point.
- Digital Science Hub: Women and Diversity in Science – Monday 8th October, 5 – 9pm, London REGISTER NOW
- Stemettes Hub: Diversity in STEM (girls aged 15+) – Tuesday 9th October, 5 – 8pm, London REGISTER NOW
- Zebra Partnership Hub: Women and Diversity in the Arts, Business & Social Entrepreneurship – Tuesday 9th October, 1 – 9pm, Manchester REGISTER NOW
- Women’s Equality Party Hub: Women of the North of England – Tuesday 9th October, 7 – 9pm, Stockport REGISTER NOW
- Girls Code Hub: Diversity in Technology – Tuesday 9th October, 7 – 10pm, Milton Keynes REGISTER NOW
- Edit4Equity New Zealand Hub: Diversity in STEM, Music, Film, TV, Art, Literature, Politics & Social Change – Tuesday 9th October, 5 – 9pm, Wellington, New Zealand REGISTER NOW
- University of New Mexico Hub: Women in New Mexico- Tuesday 9th October, 9 – 11am, at the Zimmerman Library, Room B30, on UNM’s campus
- UWE Science Communication Unit, Bristol Hub: Women in STEM – Tuesday 9th October, 12 – 2pm, UWE Fenchay 2B038
- EMBL’s Editors for Equality, Germany Hub: Women in STEM – Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th October, all day, remote locations across Germany
- Editors at European XFEL, Germany Hub: Women in STEM – Tuesday 9th October, 4 – 6pm, XFEL Germany
- Cardiff Physics Hub: Diversity in STEM, Welsh focus – Monday 9th October, 4 – 7pm, Trevithik Library, Cardiff University
What is a wiki edit-a-thon?
It’s a bit like a writing marathon. You’ll get together with a bunch of like-minded people working towards a single goal – to improve the coverage of women and diversity on Wikipedia. In groups (remotely and in person) you’ll edit, research and write a backlog of Wikipedia pages.
New to Wikipedia editing? No worries! Each location will have at least one experienced Wikipedian to help guide beginners.
Anyone can participate! We’re looking for experienced editors plus those with no experience (but a lot of enthusiasm for writing and/or fact-checking!).